Sunday, February 28, 2010

How do you braid black peoples hair?

I can french braid white peoples hair but for some reason I can not seem to grasp braiding black peoples hair...are there any tips or suggestions on how to get me started or what I might be doing wrong?How do you braid black peoples hair?
I think the volume that afro textured hair can present could challenge the dexterity of a hairstylist who is more used to straigher hair that gathers into a smaller mass.





This, based on my attempt to braid white, Indian and some hispanic hair types after years of being used to only mine and my sister's hair textures. I was surprised at my awkwardness considering I'd expected the hair to be much easier than mine to handle.





I've heard similar experiences from white moms of biracial kids. (Haven't heard it that much black or Hispanic moms)





Also, if the hair is afro textured, it 'moves' while being handled. Combing the hair stretches the spring, holding the hair also temporarily straightens the springs - as soon strands are released, the springs reassert their natural shape, sometimes, changing the shape of the section already braided.





It might help to insert small pins as you go. I think that as you gain experience, there's no longer need for the 'crutch' but until then, pins and clips to hold the hair in place could help.





Check out motowngirl.com and nappturality.com for more tips.





Hope this helps.How do you braid black peoples hair?
Don't think it's too different; you just have to be a lot more gentle because curly/kinky/black hair is a lot more brittle than any other textured hair and pulling hard on it means you might be breaking the strands of the hair. Just braid like you would braid any other person's hair, but like i said, be a lot more gentle.


Subscribe to my youtube channel, it's about hair and beauty =)


http://www.youtube.com/user/Bunicornaces
  • view myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment